Sunday, October 20, 2013

Unschool, Homeschool or Public School

Lately I have been doing alot of research on educational opportunities for my 10 year old.  She is extremely bright and creative and needs very little guidance.  She's my one kid that is always reading and the one that is always asking questions and wanting to learn about everything she comes into contact with. 

Last school year and this school year, she has been disruptive in class, and the school psychologist blames it on her being bored (although her teacher will not agree with that.)  The teacher's answer is to send notes home, call me on the phone, and put her in the timeout area and sometimes even send her to the principals office.  Other than the school psychologist, who is not a school employee, I have had no support from anyone at the school. 

So I have been primarily researching both homeschooling and unschooling and am finding that in her case unschooling coule be a perfect fit for her.  Unfortunately we do not have any Unschooling support groups in our immediate area but there are alot of online resources.  And many of the resources I have reviewed talk about a blend between homeschool and unschool which is probably the more appropriate way to go.

I'm still trying to learn as much as I can, but I am at my wits end with our school system and the lack of concern they have shown.  And on another note, my two older kids would never be able to handle an unstructured educational environment, but with my 10 year old I'm beginning to think she would thrive in it.

More to come and I will blog more as I come to some conclusions.  I'm just frustrated and felt I needed to vent on here.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you figure this out. I was lucky and my daughter was fine through school. Last year (I hope!) of college. My brother's oldest was a "model student" through elementary school and then went off the deep end. He was not disruptive but went from A's to "C's and D's (with some good grades) and just totally lost focus. He is 22 today and still searching for his path in life. I realize it takes some kids longer these days but I wonder what the heck happened in the transition to middle school??

    ReplyDelete